Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Heavy Putter

The Wire has this article about the Heavy Putter.
Here are a couple of the styles:


The theory behind it strikes me as very sound in terms of line but, like other putting 'fixes' - left hand below right, the claw, broom handle, belly putter etc - less sound for length. However I am willing to be convinced and have emailed them for a review sample. If they send one I will report my findings.

Incidentally, I've had three putters in over 25 years of golfing. The first was a hand-me-down, old technology even in the seventies, implement made by Forgan of St Andrews. The head shape and loft were similar to a 1-iron, the extra loft to cope with the furry greens back in the day. Second was another hand-me-down, a bronze centre-shafted blade made by John Letters called a Golden Gobbler (they also made a Golden Goose so I'm guessing 'gobbler' is a reference to the turkey). After 20 years with this I tried a Carbite DC (like a Ping Anser but with tungsten weights in heel and toe and soft face insert) and realised that far from being a bad putter I was actually a good putter but my equipment sucked.